Wednesday 2 May 2012

Our Special Date

My blog has been neglected the last week or so, not for lack of ideas, but for lack of time. I have quite a few pictures and " happenings" to share, so stay tuned for some posts! :-) In the meantime, I will start catching up, by sharing the special date my darling took me on yesterday.

If ever there was a perfect date, my man took me on it yesterday! After working on our house yesterday morning (more about that in another post), my man gave me time to get beautiful, and then whisked me off to town for a special afternoon/evening. Holding hands,music from his iPod sounding over the Bowe speakers in his gorgeous demo, heat adjusted to 70 degrees keeping us warm (it was a cold rainy day) set the mood for the afternoon. We stopped in Blue Hill to run a couple of errands, and enjoyed just ambling through the stores together, taking our time to get the things we needed! We then motored on to Surry where we stopped at the Surry Gardens Nursery, and I was able to spend my Valentines gift to buy some plants for my flower garden. I picked out pansies in two different colors, because I love their adorable little faces SO much, and also two little darling daisy like flowers in a purple and orange shade. I can't WAIT for a sunny day so I can go out and plant them!!!

We headed on to Ellsworth and priced out a new back door for the kitchen (more house renovations) at Home Depot and enjoyed walking through the store looking at all of the neat things we didn't know we were missing out on, to furnish our house with! ;-) My man then took me to WalMart and COMPLETLY spoiled me. I am planning to make a quilt (pics to come) and earlier in the morning, my sweet man had set down with me, and helped me draw out the plans for it! Just because he is SOOOO sweet, he took me to WalMart and bought me a roller cutter and mat, to make cutting the strips of fabric I need easier! I have the BEST man in the whole world!!! I can't WAIT to try out my new "tools" and see how they work! :-)

My man had already told me that he was taking me out for supper, and since we were getting a little hungry, we made Helen's our next stop. I had never been there, and didn't realize what a cute little spot it is! It has little stone walkways leading up to the door, with lamposts on either side of them, and beautiful little gardens along the front. Inside it is completely decorated in old-fashioned, antique-looking furniture and decor. The food was delicious, and way more than I could eat. I finally decided on a chef salad, and Matt ordered a lobster!

My man gave me the option of going bowling after supper,but I asked if we could just go on a drive instead. He sweetly consented and proceeded to take me to one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen- Mt. Desert Island,the home of Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park!!!!! You would have to see it, to believe how beautiful it is, because I cannot do it justice in describing it!He drove me through downtown Bar Harbor which is laden with quaint little shops, and GORGEOUS hotels and houses. Many of them have a waterfront view which is priceless! Matt said in the summertime. there is usually at least one HUGE yacht in the harbor. He then took me to Acadia National Park which was donated to the State by the Rockefellers. All of the roads in the park are one-way, two-lane paved streets. You park whenever you want to in the right lane and enjoy the scenery. The park covers a vast amount of land, and is right on the water. All of the bridges in the park are stone, and in season the park offers horse carriage rides through it on stone paths. There are also hiking trails which will take you all over the park. We just drove through the park enjoying the beautiful scenery of forest and ocean. The park has many interesting features, which Matt took me to. Things such as a sand beach,(a novelty for Maine), a huge lake(whoever heard tell of a lake in the middle of an island?), something called the Bubble Rock- a HUGE boulder on top of a high cliff just balanced there: nobody knows how it got there, and no amount of wind or weather moves it! One of the attractions I enjoyed most was something the park calls the Thunderhole. The ocean has erroded a hole under one of the cliffs and a vacuum is created under there. When the waves come in under the cliff, air gets trapped in the hole. This creates pressure which forces the water back out into the ocean making a huge rumble that sounds like thunder. It was not very loud yesterday, but Matt said sometimes it is really loud and you can feel the ground shake underneath you! If it is too stormy, the park closes this attraction off, because the water forced back out of the hole sprays so far you would get swept into the ocean! On good days you can hear the rumble as you are driving up to it! The park is also home to Cadillac Mountian, the highest mountian on the Atlantic Coast at 1530 feet. The neat part is that you can drive all the way to the top...and we did!!What a BREATHTAKING view!!!!!!! It was foggy and rainy last night, so we couldn't see a long way, but on clear days, you can see all the way to Blue Hill! When you get to the top you can only see the tops of trees,the rest is just sky! I could only stand in awe of the absolutely AMAZING creation our Lord has given us!!! Who could deny there is a God after seeing something so beautiful and breathtaking? We slowly motored down from the top enjoying the scenery, and watching for deer(we saw 8),and headed out of the park back toward home.I was dying to take HUNDREDS of pictures, but it was foggy and rainy and I only had my iPad with me! Matt promised he will take me back on a clear, sunny day and I can take all the pictures I want! Hmmmm...I will be in picture heaven!! :-) When we left the park I thought we would just head home,but my man was not finished yet, on our way out of Bar Harbor he took me in to a cute little candy shop and bought me a piece of the BEST fudge I have ever tasted! They make it as well as ice cream right there at the shop!! DELICIOUS!!!!!I couldn't stop smiling the whole way home!!! When I thanked my sweetheart for taking me on such an awesome date, he just said "I did it cause I love you!" My heart absolutely melted!! I have SUCH an adorable man!!!!

My darling and me at the "Thunderhole"

My chef salad

Matt's lobster

2 comments:

Carol Baker said...

I am so glad you were able to go on your date.Sounds like you had a grand time Love you Ma

Laura H. said...

Sounds like fun. Sure beats having the flu!! I'm feeling all better now though.
Love ya,
LH