Saturday 1 September 2012

Blue Hill Fair

Last evening Matt had to work a shift in the Darlings booth at the Blue Hill Fair and I was able to go with him. I enjoyed being able to take in the fair and being able to spend time with my man. (Please excuse the quality of these pictures.... they were taken at dusk with the iPod and didn't turn out the best!)

 
We went to get something to eat as soon as we found our booth and got set up because we were both pretty hungry. Matt had had a CRAZY busy day and hadn't had time for lunch and also had worked late, so he was STARVED!!!
 After we got something in our stomachs, I did a little exploring. The horse pulling ring was right across from where our booth was, so of course I had to go watch for a little while.
 
 
While I was there, the three-horse pull was in session, and they were pulling some pretty good weight. There weren't as many teams as I am used to, so the pull didn't last very long. I didn't stay for the whole thing either, because it isn't quite as fun to watch a pull when you are all by yourself and don't know any of the people pulling. :-)
 

 
I stayed for about 15 minutes watching the different teams compete. The rules aren't exactly like I'm used to, and the thing that worried me the most was seeing most of the teamsters in sneakers instead of steel-toe boots. I'm guessing they aren't a requirement down here.
 
 


The teamsters kept their teams tied to the fence until it was their turn to pull. It was neat to look down the row of horses tied along the fence. :-)
I then wandered back to the booth to join Matt, who had barely had any business while I was gone. One of the cars on display was a 2013 Camaro, so Matt decided to start it up, and see if that would draw any customers in. It worked!!!! Just about as soon as he started it up, people started coming over to see the "cool car."


 
My favorite moment was when a little nine-year old boy walked by with his family and we could see him slowing down almost drooling over this car. He asked his Mom if they could stop and look at it. She waited for him and told him to ask Matt before he got in it. I could almost see him bursting wanting to get in the car so bad, but he politely asked Matt if he was allowed to sit in it. Matt of course said it was perfectly fine, and the little guy quickly got in looking all around with the biggest grin on his face. My man is the awesomest guy in the whole world and remembered what it was like to be a little guy near a cool car. He told the little guy to touch the gas a little and listen to the sound. The little guy touched the gas with his foot a couple of times and revved the engine just enough to make it sound really good!! You should have seen the grin on his face then! I though his face was going to split he was smiling so much!! His mom and dad both told Matt that he had made this little guy's day!! Out popped the  boy from the car with the biggest smile on his face and a GREAT big "thank you" for the "Darlings man" that let him test out the car! He was SO cute!!
 
 
A little after 8:00 we packed up the booth and stayed to wander through the fair ourselves. My darling bought me a pair of earrings as a souvenir from a lady who had a booth selling jewelry she makes herself. She does a beautiful job, and was selling her jewelry at a very reasonable price. As we kept wandering, we came across another little jewerly booth where you could pick out a stone you liked and it would be set in a necklace for you. Matt said I could get one if I wanted, and I was about to pick out a stone when I noticed further down the table they had a place you could pick an oyster and have a pearl taken out of the oyster and set in a necklace or ring!!!!!! I was SO excited because I had done this once before when I was in Florida, but my necklace had tarnished and I couldn't wear my pearl anymore. I had told Matt about it several times and told him that if we ever went to Florida I wanted to get a new necklace! Now here I was standing at a booth in Blue Hill with oysters in front of me and sterling silver necklaces to have them set in. Of course, my man being the darling he is footed the bill for me and let me pick out an oyster. Below is what I got!
 
 
This picture doesn't do it justice, but the oyster I picked had a teardrop shaped pink pearl inside. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I picked out a little heart shaped pendant to have it set in, and very soon I was walking away with this dainty little necklace.
We made some good memories together... I recalled some good memories from past exhibitions I've attended... I'd say going to the fair was well worth it!! :-)

3 comments:

Damaris Baker said...

Sounds like fun!! The story about the little boy is adorable. Ma and I like the necklace. Wish I had one.

Laura H. said...

Looks like fun. Did you get to drive the "cool car" home??

Vicki said...

@Damaris
:-) Keep your eye peeled for an oyster/pearl stand, you never k ow where you might find one. I never expected to find one at the Blue Hill Fair! Xoxo
@Laura
It was fun, and no we didn't get to drive the cool car home. It had to stay at the fair on demonstration! We took the truck to the fair so technically, yes we did drive the "cool" car home. *grin*