Wednesday 15 May 2013

Mothers Day Hanging Basket

Matt and little Brett completely surprised me and gave me a Mother's Day gift this year. I was not expecting to celebrate Mother's Day myself until our little boy is actually here to cuddle in our arms. But when I woke up Sunday morning, Matt presented me with a sweet card from little Brett and a gift certificate to Surry Gardens Nursery.
 I set aside some time today and went to see what I would find to use my certificate on. I kind of had in mind either buying a hanging basket of flowers already made up, or buying the flowers to put together a basket of my own. I also had seen a hanging basket at Home Depot spilling over with peach/salmon colored flowers that was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I  wanted to see if I could find any flowers that might be close to that peach/salmon color.
 I enjoyed strolling through the greenhouses looking at all the beautiful flowers and plants     and came upon a cone shaped basket filled with a mixture of the exact color of flowers I was looking for. However I was not about to pay $40 for a hanging basket, so I resorted to plan B....replicate the basket with individual plants. After making several trips back and forth between greenhouses to compare the plants with what was in the basket, I was able to find everything I needed for a much more affordable price. They didn't have any cone-shaped baskets left, so I picked out my next favorite hanging pot and proceeded to the checkout. This is what I came home and planted.



I tried to get plants that weren't in full bloom yet, but looked healthy and had buds on them, so my pot isn't actually bursting with color yet. I'm hoping they will last through the summer better since I didn't get them in full bloom. Two little plants not in bloom yet will be a little white flower to add some contrast to the peach/salmon, and another plant not in bloom is a duplicate of the small peach/ salmon flower already in bloom.
This may get moved to our back deck when it gets built since we don't have a lot of room on our front porch as it is. We'll see when the time comes. For now I am so excited with how my hanging basket turned out and how cute it looks in the little stand we picked up for it at Home Depot. I have the sweetest husband and baby ever!!! I'm looking forward to enjoying my Mother's Day gift all summer. :-)

2 comments:

Carol Baker said...

It's lovely Torrie.Love Ma

Unknown said...

What a nice choice! It will look far better, longer than any basket they had all made up.